Thursday, September 1, 2011

Craniofacial awareness month!


So September is Craniofacial Awareness month. Last September, we were still in the hospital with Cam but he was getting better and we were trying to prepare for coming home. I do remember one of my mom friends whose little girl has aperts telling me about Craniofacial Awareness month, and how they would send me some bracelets so that I could hand them out to family and friends. I also remember at that time thinking all I want to do is get my baby home and try to grasp some sort of normalcy in my life. I remember wanting to get home and hide. Not really because Cam looked different, but because in the NICU I really didn't have to explain Cam to anyone, everyone there also had a sick baby, but coming back to reality meant that everyone Else's babies were fine and mine wasn't. So in a sense I started realizing how much that I may miss the NICU. When we did get home and get into somewhat of a routine I of course couldn't wait to take Cam places....but at first it was only to the places where people already knew about him.

I distinctly remember the first trip we took to Walmart. I kept a blanket on him and in his car seat because even though I wasn't embarrassed of my sweet baby I was embarrassed of the stares. I didn't know how to handle them at first. I didn't know if people were looking and thinking...hmmm wonder what that sweet baby has? or if they were thinking that mother must have done something for him to be like that...or she must have passed something to him. All of them made me feel weak. Like I couldn't possibly be a good mother because I was ashamed of my baby....Well it passed quick. Soon enough I didn't care what people thought, I loved Cam so much that it didn't matter. But I do appreciate those that don't just stare weirdly at us, but instead ask us....hey what is going on with your kid? anything but rude staring...I hate that.

So now I have a whole new appreciation for this month. I appreciate that there are people everywhere that look different. Honestly...I come across perfectly normal...non-syndromic people that look a little different from time to time....what I have learned is that judging others on looks is cruel. It doesn't serve a purpose, and until we know someone we can't make judgments on their looks unless we choose to be shallow people. I understand that Cameron will forever have people question his deference, but it's my hope that through Craniofacial Awareness that we spread the importance of acceptance and understanding. Cameron has changed my life in so many ways, but one of the best ways has been in my own selfishness. I have learned how to accept others difference's and more importantly I have learned to never judge someone based on their looks. I feel so blessed that I have Cam to continually remind me of the important things in life. So I encourage everyone to think about the way they judge others, and how they stare when someone looks different. Because like our motto says behind every face is a heart, and that is such a powerful statement that I'm glad to be a part of this crusade to inform people of difference!!

No comments:

Post a Comment