Monday, March 21, 2011

Flashback Monday














First, I need to ask for prayers for my
grandmother, who was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer this past weekend. Please pray for her as she deals with the news and for Gods healing.





So since I've started this blog a little on the late side, I thought that I could have a day where I post about things that we've been through already with our little warrior. So here is to Flashback Monday's!




Today I'm reminded of how tiny and helpless Cam was when he was first born, but more specifically how he looked after his very first surgery. As I mentioned in a previous post when Cam was four days old he needed surgery to repair something called esophageal atresia with a t-fistula. This fancy word put simply meant that his esophagus didn't attach to his stomach, and that he had a small fistula that connected his trachea to his esophagus. This was discovered when Cam was three days old and we thought we had a healthy little boy on our hands. They attempted to put a feeding tube down his stomach because he was still needing the breathing tube(well little did we know at the time, but that was why)and he wasn't able to take food by mouth. The nurse attempted several times but said that she felt like something was stuck. So they did an x-ray and it was determined that his esophagus was not attached to his stomach and that he would need surgery to repair it very soon.




So the next morning I kissed my sweet baby goodbye as they wheeled him away. Even though I was scared for him to have surgery, that was probably the easiest one for me because I was still pretty drugged from my c-section and I really didn't know the complexity of the issue at hand. Cam went to surgery at 9 am, and didn't return until 5 that evening. IT WAS A LONG DAY! But when he was back in the NICU and we were able to see him, I just remember thinking that he looked dead. He was lifeless and so pale. And to make matters worse he had an episode where he wanted to stop breathing even on the vent, so they ended up switching him to a different vent that looked very scary and caused alot of noise. This awesome device was called the JET, and caused Cam's chest to move very rapidly because it was pumping alot of breaths in him at one time so that he didn't have to worry about breathing on his own, and to help with that they gave him a pretty powerful paralytic, and for the next few days that was how he looked...paralyzed. My helpless, tiny, precious Cam. This was the only true time when we weren't sure if he was going to make it.




But proving us wrong as he does so often, Warrior Cameron was back to life in no time. He became active and was able to be extubated(get the breathing tube out) a week after this grueling surgery. He is my hero, and I'm so blessed to have this amazing miracle in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment